Tuesday 22 November 2022

The Crystal Gazer - A Story

I wrote this "skit/parody" after a visit to Maxine Sanders at Clanricarde Gardens! I studied with her at a time when Alex was on the south coast. He passed while I was in her Moon Shadows group. For those who know Maxine, you might recognise her tutoring style!  

The psychic peered into her crystal and whispered "I see hardness about you. There is no true love of beauty... yes, dare I say it? There is death all around yoou and you do not see it... and loss, great loss... and here, at this time, you will meet with an angel.. an angel to guide you to your destiny. You must seek maturity and wisdom..." her voice became quiet, then inaudible. 


"But how am I to accomplish such a task? Me!" I asked in panic. 
"The vision fades, my child, the vision fades, you must commit to courage now..."
"Yes" the words spoke themselves through me and she passed the velvet cloth over the shining ball. 
"Search for the Jet Black Opal without delay and the mysteries will be revealed directly to you, but, take heed, many paths lead to fruitless trees and few paths lead to righteousness. For this to be accomplished in your life, the ancients have given two concessions; one that you need not seek alone, and two; your trial does not need to take place in silence." With these words echoing within me, I left the basement flat in Eastbourne Mews and made haste for the local public library. I hunted the reference shelves and eventually appealed to the librarian. After a cursory glance at me as though I had two heads, a sharp retort was offered, "Nothing on the microfische!" Oh! I thought, how I long for librarians who once assisted those with enquiring minds! 

I entreated by telephone a friend to help me to discover the elusive rock! "I have a date tonight, call me back next week" she said. Crestfallen, I wandered aimlessly along the road until I noticed a bus going to Hatton Garden. Within the hour, I had arrived in Clerkenwell. There I saw whole streets of jewelry shops, all sizes, shapes, colours and prices of gemstone but not a single Jet Black Opal in sight. To my astonishment, I received only blank looks, shrugging shoulders and shaking heads when I inquired. One assistant laughed, another was scornful! At the lowering of the sun that day, I was footsore and mightily hungry! 

In the morning light, I awoke, inspired! I proceeded to cancel my appointments and swiftly made my way to the Geological Museum, removing my engagement ring and placing it in my purse whilst I walked the long tunnel from South Kensington tube station. The answer to this riddle is only for those sufficiently quick footed along this murky subway to avoid being accosted or robbed! As I finally entered the Great Hall, I saw Medusa creating fossil and gemstone, and beside her was crouching the Great Father with his compass, ordering and measuring Creation itself. Poseidon was supervising the great waters and Gaia was working with desert sand and frozen tundra to bring forth life in variety and abundance. Many others were playing their role in the making and maintenance of our unique and finite planet. I was elevated up and engulfed by a huge arch of gold and silver, copper and iron floating amongst the stars and planets of our galaxy. 

There in the midst of such sights I was attracted to purchase some pretty rocks in the Museum shop. I was acutely aware of ambiguous thoughts of the nature of protecting and exploiting world resources. 

I wandered around the first floor section with its fossils of early humankind, many of our ancestors were there. The skull of an ancient humanoid was displayed for examination. I laid my hand upon the dome of the skull. I was in the presence of a prehistoric brain case which held an intellect of outstanding sensitivity and vast natural instinct. Lost in thought for the black rock in question, I wondered towards the dinosaur rooms, their skeletons majestic and elegant, even fragile in parts, yet dense in bone matter. I rested my feet and sat thinking. Some considerable time passed. When I felt recovered, I was ready to resign from this goose chase. Suddenly, I saw a woman leaviung the far end of the room holding my handbag! As I hot footed after her, I found no trace of her. My valuables! The photo of my guru, my diary, my keys, my engagement ring! Terror struck I ran to the attendant! Just at that moment, the attendant appeared. "Is this your handbag mam?" "I cannot thank you enough" I could have cried with relief! Then I thought to ask: "Can you help me please? I am looking for a Jet Black Opal". "Follow me, Mam" he said, and I ran alongside him like a dog with a wagging tail!

I was led past rooms of meteorites, so small in size, yet the crater of their impact caused devastation to the world's axis. There was a fossilised tree with clear yearly rings and bark looking as fresh as any living, yet it was twenty million years old. At last, we, the attendant and I, arrived at the grand Lapidary Departments of minerals. "The Jet Black Opal you seek, Mam, only one of those, third case on the right, fifth drawer!"  There I stood, peering intently on to the shelf. On a small card in tiny black ink were the words "The Jet Black Opal". I couldn't believe it. It looked like a plastic chip! All this way! All this time, effort, money, inconvenience! Fraud! Charlatan! I've been cheated and I want my money back! As I stood there, lost in bitter confusion, the strangest thing happened. A few tiny subtle and muted colours revealed themselves as I rubbed my tired eyes with amazement. Hues so rare and delicate that have no comparison to anything similar in this life time. A warm beauty flooded my heart and obscured my vision. Tears rolled down my cheeks. It was only then, at that moment, that a spray of lights threw themselves in multiple splashed all around the room, each splash fell on a wondrous jewel enhancing its brilliance and radiance a thousand fold. I looked about me, all the jewels in the room had come alive and were dancing and drenching my tearful eyes with flashing sheets of lightning and bolts of intense beauty. I was awestruck with the splendour and magnificence. As my tears fell away, the room returned to its Victorian dullness. Yet, this was the most wonderful moment in the most wonderful day of my life. I travelled home that evening a changed soul! 
Story by Wendy Stokes - Published in The Messenger 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search