Wednesday 15 June 2022

A Novel Approach to Healing - An Extract

Extract from A Novel Approach to Healing by Angela DeHSP  - a Highly Sensitive Person: 

In recent years, I've come to understand what it means to be a "HSP". Through this, I've looked at the bigger picture of my life and seen how and why stress (the biggest factor undermining human health) has affected me.

Because stress levels are determined by ones own sensitivity, being a HSP meant my biochemistry suffered big time, creating a string of mystery health issues over the years that pre-empted my need to develop coping strategies. Whilst I did plenty of research into my biochemistry in order to stabilise my health, the most difficult aspect was to develop the emotional resilience I lacked, being the main source of my high stress levels - something that is common among HSP's.

In order to monitor my energy, I follow my Biorhythms online to see how much energy I can expect each day. I have noticed that when the three main biorhythms - physical, emotional and intellectual - are low simultaneously, I feel totally exhausted for a week with digestion and sleep being affected. At such times, I find it wise to conserve energy rather than resort to stimulants, in order to be ready for the inevitable upswing in energy when the biorhythms rise again.

Physical activity is essential to generate a steady flow of energy throughout the body - the kind of energy surge that releases endorphins and frees up processing space in the liver, thus having a balancing effect upon the whole body. For me, this works best in the morning, for without energy flowing stagnation occurs quickly, both mentally and physically. Activity must be regular if momentum is to be maintained - more so with advancing age.

During unavoidable high stress, herbs like Rhodiola are invaluable to reduce the perception of stress, avoiding the cascade of effects. Phosphatidylserine is useful for mopping up an excess of cortisol that has occurred as a result of prolonged stress. For me, excess cortisol feels like a tightness around the brain, rather like a headache coming on; too much cortisol can perpetuate the feeling of stress as well as prevent restful sleep. Developing the ability to respond to the needs of the body in the moment is essential to break the cycle of stress.

Autonomic Nervous System (ANS): This part of the nervous system regulates the activities of smooth muscle, cardiac muscle, and certain glands, subconsciously. It is regulated by the cerebral cortex, hypothalamus and medulla oblongata. Some familiar activities of the ANS are changes in pupil size, blood vessel dilation, adjustment of heartbeat, sphincter control, rate of peristalsis and secretion of most glands. There are two branches to the ANS - sympathetic and parasympathetic. Many body parts have connections to both branches; one branch stimulates and the other decreases activity. In simplified terms, the sympathetic branch prepares the body for 'fight or flight' and the parasympathetic branch for 'rest and digest'. How our genes are being expressed will dictate how our ANS normally functions within us and so provides a benchmark, so when we function at that part of the ANS scale we will feel at our best. However, there are many factors that affect normal function. Because the ANS affects the metabolic rate, and the metabolic rate affects the ANS, you can guess how food choices create a see-sawing of the ANS, either speeding it up or slowing it down, both of which impact our sense of wellbeing. Whilst the ANS is not as important as the heart in the greater scheme of things, it is at the heart of creating balance,especially for the HSP.

 What affects ANS function?

Genetic Inheritance: How our ANS functions is mostly rooted in our genes but not entirely, for there is much we can be exposed to, or choose to do that affects how those genes are expressed. The latter is explored in a branch of science called Epigenetics.

Foods: The main food groups, known as macronutrients, are carbohydrate, fat and protein. Most of us are familiar with the idea of consuming a balanced ratio of foods from each of these groups every day. Now, it is posited that wherever our genes place us on the ANS scale, we achieve a feeling of wellbeing by consuming the appropriate ratio from each macronutrient group for that part of the scale. However, the mixed messages that modern adulterated foods give our bodies confuse and interfere with our biochemistry, creating cravings and disrupting normal function. It's not just about having an eating routine, but being discerning about what we eat if we are to become more conscious of the long term effect upon our wellbeing.

Day to day activities: Eating, working, playing, sleeping, and environment are the active aspects of what can affect the ANS, either positively or negatively.
Belief Systems: Belief systems are the passive aspect of what affects our ANS. We inherit some belief systems during our formative years from our carers and adopt others along the way, but they all give rise to expectations. Whether or not those expectations are met can dictate how we react/respond and therefore what emotions come into play.

Stress: How we each perceive stress is dependent upon the extent of our own sensitivity, and thus how we interpret each direct experience. Stress can build up because of how we emotionally respond (coloured by our inherent belief systems), so it is not fixed and can be changed. How we release stress is a personal thing, but it does need releasing if outbursts are to be avoided. Massage, laughing, dancing and music therapy have all been shown to reduce the high levels of cortisol produced by stress.

Balance & Harmony: For me, balance and harmony is something I have to work at constantly. I use the silence, meditation, nature, exercise and the other tools mentioned in this book. Without those things, I soon fall back into either reacting to life or stagnating within it. I think and feel better when balanced and that's all I'm seeking.

Personal Growth: Growth is a personal choice; not everyone wants it but for me it's what I'm here for. I have a desire to meet my potential and to reach the end of this life satisfied I have done all I can to help myself and others be all that they can be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search